Elsie Yanik Award
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Alberta Mackenzie Provincial Council, the Elsie Yanik Award was initiated (in 1997) to commemorate the leadership and ministry/service of Elsie Yanik to the Catholic community in the diocese of Mackenzie-Fort Smith.
- This award shall be presented annually, if applicable, at the discretion of members of the Alberta Mackenzie Provincial Council Awards Committee, which consists of the President, President-Elect, Spiritual Development Chairperson, and Spiritual Advisor.
- The recipient shall be a CWL member living in Alberta Mackenzie.
- This honorary award shall consist of an individual plaque presented to the recipient; and a permanent plaque, which is inscribed with the names of all recipients. The permanent plaque shall be kept with the recipient’s council for display purposes until the following provincial convention.
- Nomination of a member must be submitted by a Parish or Diocesan Council.
- Deadline for submissions shall be December 31 of each year.
- The Committee shall notify the recipient by February 15.
- The recipient shall have her transportation, registration, room, and meals paid to attend the annual provincial convention to receive the award.
Criteria for Eligibility
The nominee must:
1. be a League member in good standing (has paid her membership fee in the current year);
2. portray a leadership role;
3. have demonstrated a commitment to ministry/service in an area or areas of need in a parish or community.
Award Application Form (download)
Father Walter Krewski Awards
The Father Walter Krewski Awards are given annually to three councils in the Alberta Mackenzie area for increases in membership during the previous year. The Awards began in 2007 and are presented each year at the Provincial Convention.
L-R St. Bonaventure: Lorriane Clark, Angie Schlachter; St. Gabriel the Archangel:LouAnne Schulhauser; Janet MacPhee, Calgary Diocesan President; Ascension: Sheena Koett, Darlene Senger
St. Gabriel CWL council is a fairly small CWL organization. We have grown from the original 9 (or so) members who spearheaded the formation of our CWL council six years ago, in 2011 to 30 registered members in 2017!!!In 2016 our membership grew by 92% and we were able to recieve the Walter Krewski award for this accomplishment. Our council hosts a spring and fall membership drive every year. It is during these weekend masses that our President or President-elect will speak to the congregation after mass and express our desire to have more ladies join this wonderful fellowship. We read the prepared literature that has been passed down through the Calgary Diocesan Council. This gives everyone a better understanding of what the CWL really stands for and what it is all about. After mass the CWL ladies from our council remain in the foyer to answer any questions our lady parishoners may have and we hand out rosary's to all those who would like to take one.Our CWL council also sponsors the 10:30 am mass on a Sunday, twice during the year. We make ourselves present at this mass as the Ushers, Lectors, Eucharistic Ministers, Projector Coordinator, Gift Bearers etc. and we all sit together in the front row. We try to collaborate this mass with a Hospitality weekend, so there are refreshments after mass that we also attend to. We are a council that is slowly and steadily growing in numbers and we are truly grateful to call ourselves members of the St. Gabriel CWL.
Ascension parish has been established for approximately 30 years. We have a large community of parishioners. The original council dissolved shortly after starting, as our parish was part of an ecumenical Centre with the Lutheran church. To support ecumenicalism and the joining of centers, the ladies started a women's group called Circle of Friends. Years later the Lutheran church parted ways and Ascension purchased the building and taking over the Centre. Ascension was now in need of a women's group so the CWL was reinstated. There were a couple of introduction meetings that created our charter members. Our group focused on showing a strong presence in our parish. The events we participated in we wore shashes and a unified color to show our unity. We encouraged all members to invite their friends and family. With support from our Spiritual Adviser Father Pil, we ran a very successful membership drive. Our council tries very hard to inspire and fill our hearts so we may love and serve in unity, under the umbrella of our church and with the direction of the Holy Spirt. Thank you for your recognition, this will go along way to inspire the women of our parish to answer Gods calling for service.
We, the CWL at St Bonaventure, promoted the League after all week end masses during our membership drive which allowed us to extend a personal invitation to all ladies of the parish. Following mass we hosted hospitality where current members could renew their membership and prospective ones could speak to one of our members on a one to one basis. We offered to provide financial support towards the first year of membership to all first time CWL members. We had 18 ladies accept our invitation to join which resulted in the winning of the Fr Walter Krewski award for the greatest increase in new members to CWL in 2016.
The deadline for submission of the forms is February 28, 2018..
If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email.